Thursday, May 2, 2013

Action Research College Readiness

Goal: Students will become knowledgeable on the topic of college readiness and exceed state and federal student performance standards at the middle school and high school. We will give students the greatest opportunities to earn high school credit in middle school and earn college credit at high school.


OUTCOMES
ACTIVITIES
RESOURCES/ RESEARCH TOOLS NEEDED
RESPONSIBILITY TO ADDRESS ACTIVITIES
TIME LINE
Benchmarks/
ASSESSMENT
Revisions to
SIP/PIP based
on monitoring
and
assessments
Increase STAAR passing rates and performance standards.
Utilize data from six weeks TEKScore reports to target remedial instruction and for after school tutorials.
DMAC TEKScore Reg. VII program (SFSF)
Asst. Superintendent, Principals, Counselors, teachers
Oct. 2013
Nov. 2013
Feb. 2013
April 2013
STAAR Percentage of students achieving Satisfactory Performance Levels on required assessments
Discuss
updated
timeline
Increase passing rates for all student groups.
Coordinate instruction at DAEP and ISS programs to ensure mastery of TEKS objectives.
Funding:
Education 2020
 
DAEP Teacher and Aids
ISS Aids
High School Principal
Each 6 weeks
At least 90% passing rate each 6 weeks for all student groups.
Grades
Increase
Funding if
available
100% promotion rate
Provide summer school, and acceleration programs to address the needs of high-risk students.
Funding
Principals, Teachers
Each 6 weeks
Final grades
Provide more
Funding if
available
At least 90% passing rate each 6 weeks for all student groups. Percentage of students achieving Satisfactory Performance Levels on required assessments.
Utilize Accelerated Reader Enterprise, Literacy programs and accelerated math programs to increase skills
Renaissance Learning
Funding
Librarians, Teachers
Oct. 2013
Jan. 2014
May 2014
Summative and Formative Assessments
Grades
Discuss
updated
timeline.
Equipment procured
Upgrade Science materials and equipment for all campuses.
Local funds of $8,900
Principals, Teachers
Sept. 2013
Jan. 2013
April 2013
Increased performance in sciences
Update timeline and funding.
100% qualifying students served by appropriate programs
Provide annual update training for all staff to ensure common understanding of district procedures for identifying, supporting and monitoring the following students: Dyslexia and related disorders, LEP, Sp. Ed, GT, At-Risk
Special Education Department Handbooks
Asst. Supt., Principals, EISD Sp. Ed. Director
Aug. 2013
Jan. 2014
Grades
Update timeline
and materials
needed
100% of identified students passing each six weeks
Provide tutorial program and Grand Central Station support services targeting 20% students, special ed. Students and 504 students district wide
Sp. Ed. Funds
Local Funds
Content Mastery Teachers, 504 Aide, Sp. Ed./Reg. Ed. Teachers
Each 6 weeks
Grades
Update
requirements
100% pass all subjects
Provide ESL services on all campuses and monitor student progress
Local Funds
District, ESL teachers for elementary and secondary
Each 6 weeks
Grades
Increase Funds
If available
Monitor special programs for maximized potential
Utilize alternative assessments to ensure LEP students are not over-or-under represented in special programs
Local Funds
ESL Teacher, Principals
Aug. 2013
Jan.2014
May 2014
Monitoring
Responsible
parties


7 comments:

  1. I like the ideas I see in your research, a lot of great ways to increase success in school. DAEP and ISS are the crick in my neck! I am having a hard time following the steps or finding a flow in the research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. Thanks Meghan for your comment. I will plan on making my plan flow better. I do plan on researching students from all categories including those who are discipline problems in DAEP or alternative school and those who have been in ISS or in school suspension. I will also include attendance, formative assessments as well as sumative assessments that are not STAAR. I plan to keep the high acheivers motivated. My purpose in this is to enable students to see that there are wonderful opportunities after high school that will facilitate greater success than just maintaining status quo. As a division one athlete, straight A student, and former professional athlete, and now as an educator, I realize that most people do not have the intrinsic motivation to create opportunities for themselves. Therefore, I'd like to be able to help them open doors by providing good information through research. As I get more in to my research, it will have a steady flow. Thanks again. God bless.

      Delete
  2. Yes...such great ideas all together! But, does jump around a little! You are such a go-getter with your goal and I commend you for working with your principal for different funds that may have to be used to carry out your action research and how it would affect it. Make sure you have a tool to guide teachers through data collection if this will affect other teachers...that way you get the evidence you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! These are all great ideas - and I agree with Andrea, you are a go-getter. There seems to be a lot of different activities and it might be easier to follow if you focus on just a couple of them. I too am targeting instruction to raise test scores, and I look forward to following your action research plan. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Andrea and She!!! I appreciate the wonderful advice and encouragement. I'll take this and run with it. I will focus on a couple of the issues. When I have them nailed down, I'll move forward. I'll also make it easier for others to understand the information gained from research. Teachers will be involved. Therefore, I'll make sure they understand what I'm doing. I plan on doing surveys to see if knowledge has been gained through the year. The data that I collect, I'll share on this blog as well as with my fellow teachers and administrators. Funding may be difficult due to the fact that our school is so low socioeconomically. It's all going to be a challenge, and I know that. On Monday I will begin a reaserch project to help my eighth graders understand what college readiness is and have them start looking ahead to the future. It will be interesting. I appreciate all of my followers and all the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great research topic that would definitely benefit all schools. I will be very interested to see your results.

    Will you be working with all students at your school or just a smaller group from each student group?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are taking on a commendable task. One that will also be time consuming. But for people to accomplish taks such as these, it takes people that are willing to put in the EXTRA time and effort. Good luck to you on your cohorts that will be implementing this plan.

    ReplyDelete